Too many chimneys in Birmingham, AL are not working properly. This can lead to a variety of problems within your home and is something you need to be aware of. You might also notice an unusual smell or hear strange noises coming from the chimney that could indicate there’s a problem. Here are 7 signs that it may be time for chimney repair:
1) Sooty buildup on the chimney’s exterior – this indicates the chimney isn’t getting enough airflow which can cause smoke back drafting into your house
2) Blackening smudge at the top of your chimney stack – this is caused by creosote buildup which needs to be removed before it catches fire
3) Strange noises coming from the chimney – these can include loud cracking, whistling, or hissing sounds
4) Water leaking into the chimney – this could be a sign of a chimney cap or flashing problem or, even worse, a cracked chimney liner
5) Smoke spilling out of the chimney – this is an obvious sign there’s something wrong and could be a result of blocked airways, a damaged chimney liner, or too much creosote buildup
6) A chimney that’s too hot or cold – this can indicate it needs to be swept or, there is not enough insulation which will cause airflow problems and make your chimney less efficient and, it will need more repairs over time.
7) Significant chimney deterioration – if the bricks or mortar are crumbling, there’s significant rust, or the damper is broken, it’s definitely time for chimney repair.
If you’re experiencing any of these signs, don’t wait – call a professional chimney sweep to come and take a look. Ignoring the problem could lead to much bigger and more expensive issues down the road. Chimney repair Birmingham AL can be costly, but it’s a lot cheaper than repairing the damage done to your home from a chimney fire. So be proactive and get your chimney inspected today!
Under One Roof LLC
148 Aaronvale Cir, Birmingham, AL 35242